|view from the Plaza Santa Ana © Robert Bovington|
The tower in this photo is the Torre de la Vela. The bell was used by the Arabs to announce disasters. From this privileged position a vast expanse of territory could be seen including the Vega of Granada.
The tower was, therefore, critical for defence and surveillance.
Later, the Christians used the bell to strike the hours and to announce the time that farmers could irrigate their fields.
The Spanish flag was placed on the tower on January 2, 1492 at 3 pm.